For the legalization of the representatives of marine companies, the documents hereinbelow are required:
1. An official copy of the original deed of incorporation and any amendments thereof (if such amendments exist) bearing the registration seal with the relevant register of the Hellenic Ministry for the Mercantile Marine & Island Policy.
2. A true excerpt of the minutes of the General Meeting of Shareholders bearing the registration seal with the relevant register of the said Ministry regarding the election of the company's Board of Directors, duly signed by the relevant officers, as per the company's Articles of Association including a) the published shareholders' invitations, b) the GM agenda, and c) a detailed description of the share capital represented thereat.
In the event of temporary directors' election by the Board of Directors, the company shall furnish the relevant Board minutes approving this election or communicating it to the aforementioned General Meeting.
3. The minutes of the Board of Directors' Meeting (which shall include the names of the Directors present and of the Directors absent, though invited), duly signed by the relevant officers as per the company's Articles of Association, regarding the Board's constitution into a body and the powers and authorities conferred upon the persons designated to conduct the company’s financial transactions, bearing the registration seal with the relevant register of the said Ministry.
- It is recommended that the Board representatives are granted, further to general authorities, the authority to enter into and undertake obligations on behalf of the company as per the relevant Board resolution, stating that the representatives are also authorized to carry out the following:
"Open bank accounts; withdraw cash money, instruments, dividend coupons and interest coupons; collect money transferred or otherwise due to the company; issue, accept, endorse and pay up bills of exchange, promissory notes and cheques; take delivery of shipping documents; enter into agreements with banks re opening documentary credits; issue letters of guarantee on behalf of the company or any third party, legal or natural person, and addressed to any legal or natural person; collect bills of lading with pledged advance payment; rent safe deposit boxes; enter into loan agreement and provide credit through open account with personal collateral for the increase of the existing credit line and/or secured by mortgages or promissory notes or any pledge whatsoever, and use such credit line (by issuing cheques, transferring funds or withdrawing money) and the safe deposit boxes rented by the company; provide collateral to secure in general claims against the company, on movable or immovable property, i.e. any pledge such as mortgage, prenotation or ship mortgage on the company's ships; supply guarantees on behalf and for the account of the company in favor of any third party, legal or natural person and addressed to any legal or natural person; recover pledged items and discharge letters of guarantee; lease and use safe deposit boxes and terminate such agreements; in general perform any management act. Note that the acts listed hereinabove are indicative and without limitation".
- The said Board of Directors' meeting minutes are not required when, at the time the company is incorporated, the first Board of Directors' Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Chief Executive or Managing Director, or persons with other capacity and authorities (representing and legally binding the company) are determined on the basis of the Articles of Association.
4. Recent certificate issued by the Hellenic Ministry for the Mercantile Marine & Island Policy with a summary of the company’s status (establishment, amendments, term duration, members of the Board, representation etc.).
A recent document evidencing the group structure should be provided in the event that the company belongs to a group of companies.
When legal entities are involved as shareholders, a recently issued certificate of the competent Companies’ Registry or the true beneficiaries in the company’s country of establishment regarding the shareholder structure of the company/shareholder (Certificate of shareholders) should be submitted.
In the case of marine companies whose shareholder is a legal entity, it is necessary to supply also a recent declaration of the company's legal representative stating the individual(s) that is/are beneficial owner(s) of the company shares, i.e. the individual(s) that actually own the company or control it by possessing or controlling, directly or indirectly, a sufficient percentage of company shares or voting rights or other ownership rights, including, inter alia, through non-registered shares or control through other means.
In addition, in the event that the legal entity/shareholder of the marine company is a listed company, it is necessary to supply a recent relevant declaration stating the relation between the companies and the Stock Exchange where such stocks are traded.
Note: An individual holding more than 25% of the company’s share capital or ownership rights is considered to have direct control of the company.
A company holding more than 25% of the company’s share capital or ownership rights is considered to have indirect control of the company if the former is controlled by an individual or individuals or more companies controlled by the same individual(s).
Note: As regards foreign legal entities, the documents provided should include the trade name of the foreign legal entity and the details of the individuals/beneficial owners in Latin characters.
As regards individuals who are involved with the company and act as (a) legal representatives, (b) principal shareholders, (c) other shareholders holding 25% or more, and (d) beneficial owners, the following documents are further required to certify and verify their identity:
1. Copy of Greek or another EU National ID card or valid passport and
2. Original or copy of a utility bill to verify the home address.
In addition, the legal representative should further provide:
1. A document issued through TaxisNet to certify a tax ID number in Greece or document evidencing country of taxation issued by the competent local tax authority, if a TIN in Greece is not available.
2. Copy of landline phone or mobile phone bill.
Note: After checking the documents provided, the Bank is entitled to request further documents, if deemed necessary to complete the process.