Recognizing the key importance of good corporate governance in achieving long-term sustainability and growth, the Board of Directors and the Management of the National Bank of Greece place special emphasis on the implementation of a Corporate Governance Framework that aims at the consistent implementation of the Bank's business strategy, the effective interaction with stakeholders, the identification and management of risks associated with its business activity, and compliance with the regulatory and legislative framework governing its operation.
Transparency and effective oversight in our governance arrangements, interactive communication with stakeholders and the adoption of appropriate internal regulations and safeguards consist key principles on which our Corporate Governance Framework is based.
- The number of independent members of the Board of Directors is kept well above the minimum regulatory provisions’ threshold (with the majority of the members of the Board of Directors being independent non-executive members).
- The Board of Directors of the Bank consists of selected members with appropriate knowledge and skills, with emphasis on the preservation of diversity and collective suitability, with members of different nationalities, gender and specialization.
- The role of Senior Independent Director (SID) has been established, with clearly defined responsibilities that are properly integrated in the internal institutional documents of the bank.
- We aim for the constant updating of the internal Corporate Governance Framework that we follow, by monitoring on an ongoing basis developments in the field of corporate governance, with a view to promoting maintenance of a modern and effective Corporate Governance Framework.
- We prioritize the proper implementation of our Code of Ethics, which reflects the principles and values that the bank adheres to, promoting transparency, professional integrity and respect for customers, associates, employees and shareholders of the bank.
- We operate in compliance with the rules, decisions, provisions, regulations and instructions of the Supervisory Authorities and ensure the existence of communication channels that enable anyone to communicate any suspected irregularities.